An Extraordinary Time Requires Extraordinary Solidarity
In these challenging times, it is essential to look beyond national borders and to show international solidarity. With your donation, you can make a huge difference for children and families. You can help them with essential support through food, drinking water and hygiene products. All funding will be distributed completely transparently - and as always 100% of the donations will go directly to the families.
The COVID-19 pandemic impacts everyone personally. However, as you can imagine, families and children that have the least possibilities to stay safe and healthy face incredibly severe dangers. The Coronavirus crisis requires social distancing to stop the virus from spreading. But it is a privilege to stay at home. Very few people from poor countries can, and this exposes children and their families to potentially fatal threats.
“The people here in Niger are terrified. The possible health threats are already scary but also daily survival has become difficult. Day laborers cannot find work anymore. The poverty has always been great, but now the situation is desperate. We have to help the families with food and hygiene supplies.” Kara Van der Kamp, Remember Niger Coalition
This is just one example of the many countries where the situation has deteriorated since the outbreak of the virus. We want to help and need your support.
We have created an emergency fund, from which the budget will be distributed among the different projects, depending on the greatest need. This allows us to respond directly, quickly and flexibly to the constantly changing situation. All our partners on ground are working at high speed to pack and distribute emergency relief packages with essential supplies to all vulnerable families of the schools.
For now, we have selected five projects that are currently in need of monetary aid to provide the families with emergency packages. Read in the following part about the concrete situations in the different countries where our school projects are located.
Initial Priority Countries
1. Our implementing partner Zeltschule e.V. reported that in Lebanon, Bar Elias, the hygienic situation is inadequate, and that food, as well as drinking water, is highly needed. Our partner will use the donations to increase hygienic measures by distributing soap and disinfectants and providing drinking water and food supplies to each family of the school.
2. The Remember Niger Coalition is in great need of financial support to supply the children with relief packages, including food and hygiene articles. Usually, children receive one meal within the school program in Niamey, and with schools closed, these children are at high risk of hunger and malnourishment.
3. In Kenya, our partner Hope Children's Centre will buy food supplies, drinking water and hygienic articles. The school principal and her team already started to prepare packages filled with these items, but they will need funding to distribute these packages to all children.
4. Molo Mhlaba, our accomplishing organization in Cape Town, already supported twenty families with meals for the week and hygiene products. However, the number is continually rising as more and more parents are becoming unemployed. To respond to these needs, they require financial help.
5. In Tanzania, Upendo e.V. is preparing an emergency response to support the most vulnerable families of the community in Lemooti. Additionally, schools need soap and disinfectants to mitigate further risk. The schools reopened on the 17th of April.